Textbook Rental Agreement
When you rent textbooks, you enter into a rental agreement with the Iowa State University Book Store to loan you one copy of a selected title. Rental textbooks are the intellectual property of the author(s) and are copyrighted by the author(s) or publishers. Textbooks rentals are not to be reproduced. The rental agreement is only effective for the current semester. Per terms of this agreement, you are responsible for the following:
- I understand that all titles for rent are property of the Iowa State University Book Store.
- Materials are to be returned in the appropriate condition: clean, limited writing, highlighting, and notes. You agree to be billed for the full publisher’s price of the materials if any of the items are damaged or missing.
- Materials are to be returned on or before the date they are due listed on your pack slip or store receipt. You agree to be billed for the replacement price of a new textbook if the rental is not returned on time.
- If decide you would like to keep your rental materials, you may apply the rental price toward the purchase of a new or used copy (if available) of the textbook within the first four weeks of class. After the first four weeks, the rental fee is non-refundable.
- Textbooks rented at the Iowa State University Book Store may be returned for a full refund within the guidelines listed under our Textbook Return Policy.
Returning Your Rented Textbooks
Rented textbooks may be returned to the University Book Store any time prior to the due date. Rental returns will also be accepted at off-site buyback locations during finals week. Multiple AccessPlus notifications will be sent out at the end of the semester reminding you to return your rented books.
If you are unable to return your book(s) to the store or one of the off-site locations, you may return your rented book(s) by mail:
- Packages must be postmarked no later than the due date.
- Packages must arrive by the Friday following the due date.
- You must include your full name and student ID number on a note inside the package so the book(s) can be properly returned on your account. (DO NOT send your student ID card)
- We suggest using a shipping service with tracking and insurance so you can verify your books arrived in time and safely.
- Book(s) must be in condition stated above to be returned.
- Late charges are applied the day after the due date but will be reversed if you mailed your books and followed the above criteria.
- Send rental books to the following address:
- Attn: Textbook Rental Return
- Iowa State University Book Store
- 2229 Lincoln Way
- Ames, IA 50011-1131