Textbook Rental Information
Returning Your Rented Textbooks
Students are welcome to continue using their rented textbooks for the Spring 2020 semester, the return deadline remains as May 13, 2020.
Ship Your Books
Due to campus building closures and maintaining social distance, we encourage students to return rental books by mail:
- Packages must arrive at the University Book Store by the due date.
- You must include your full name and student ID number on a note inside the package so the book(s) can be properly returned on your account. (DO NOT send your student ID card)
- We suggest using a shipping service with tracking and insurance so you can verify your books arrived in time and safely.
- Book(s) must be in good, used condition or better to be returned - no water damage, no pages missing, binding intact, etc.
- Send rental books with the info above to the following address:
Attn: Textbook Rental Return
Iowa State University Book Store
2229 Lincoln Way
Ames, IA 50014-1097
On Campus Returns
Students that prefer to return rentals on-campus during the closure may come to the South entrance of the Memorial Union (Lincoln Way) from 10am-2pm March 21st – 27th. Check our website for up to date information here. This is subject to change.
Textbook Buyback Update
We will not be able to offer textbook buyback for purchased books at this time. We are working to offer a mail-in buyback opportunity for non-rented. Watch our website and your email for updates regarding end-of-semester buyback opportunities in late April.
Textbook Rental Agreement
When you rent textbooks, you enter into a rental agreement with the Iowa State University Book Store to loan you one copy of a selected title. Rental textbooks are the intellectual property of the author(s) and are copyrighted by the author(s) or publishers. Textbook rentals are not to be reproduced. The rental agreement is only effective for the current semester. Per terms of this agreement, you are responsible for the following:
- All titles for rent are property of the Iowa State University Book Store.
- You are responsible for inspecting the condition of your material(s). Any existing damage must be reported to the ISU Bookstore within 5 days of rental. You will be responsible for any damage upon return of the rental.
- Materials are to be returned in the appropriate condition: clean, limited writing, highlighting, and notes - No smoke, fire or water/liquid damage. You agree to be billed for the replacement price of the used textbook if any of the items are damaged or missing.
- Materials are to be returned to the ISU Bookstore on or before the due date listed on your pack slip or store receipt. You agree to be billed for the replacement price of the used textbook if the rental is not returned on time.
- If you decide you would like to keep your rental materials, you may convert your rental to a purchase up until midterm. After midterm, the rental fee is non-refundable.
- When returning a rented textbook, your student ID card and/or student number must be presented in order to properly return the book on your account. (Failure to follow this instruction will result in the book not being credited to your account and will be treated as an un-returned book.)
- Textbooks rented at the Iowa State University Book Store may be returned for a full refund within the guidelines listed under our Textbook Return Policy.